Real Estate TaxesShare This +
What defines real estate taxes?
Definition of real property. "Real property", "real estate" and "land" include not only the land itself but all buildings and improvements thereon, and all fixtures and rights and privileges appertaining thereto.
Please read for payment of property tax bills—
Tax bills are mailed to the OWNER(S) on record for Real Estate property in the City of Oak Creek. If you are not the owner of the property described on the bill you receive, please forward it to the owner or return it to the City Treasurer’s Office. For any properties sold or titles recorded after October 2018, we will make every attempt to forward current tax bills to new owners. If you are the current owner of property in the City of Oak Creek and did not receive a tax bill, it is your responsibility to find out the amount of property tax due and when the tax bill needs to be paid. To find out how much you owe – you may check our web site, www.oakcreekwi.org , or contact City Hall.
Wis. Stats. 74.09 Property tax bill and related information -
(6) Effect of Failure to Receive. Failure to receive a property tax bill does not affect the validity of the general property taxes, special taxes, special charges and special assessments levied or the collection of delinquent general property taxes, special taxes, special charges and special assessments.
CHECK(s): Should be made payable to City of Oak Creek. Checks are processed and deposited as quickly as possible. The City reserves the right to reject any and all checks or certified funds FOR ANY IRREGULARITIES, including but not limited to being improperly dated, completed or endorsed and; if returned to the payer unprocessed, the City is not responsible for taxes not immediately processed or that become delinquent or for interest and penalties on delinquent taxes. The City does not accept third party checks except from mortgage companies or banks specifically in payment of property tax. Personal Checks must include Name & Address. Include a phone number; if we need to resolve a problem with your check and are unable to reach you by phone, your check will be returned to you, your payment will be invalid and you may become delinquent. DO NOT STAPLE and DO NOT COMBINE with any other payments. CHECKS RETURNED from the bank for any reason are subject to a $25.00 recovery fee and payment is void. Full replacement payment, plus a separate recovery fee, must be paid with certified funds or cash, and must be received by the original due date to avoid additional charges.
ESCROW ACCOUNTS: Some mortgage companies send escrow checks to a third party tax service before sending them to the City. Payments are dated as the day we receive them. To see when your escrow payment was received, please check our web site or call your bank to verify timely payments. Escrow checks made payable to taxpayers must be endorsed by those taxpayers.
RECEIPTS may be printed at www.oakcreekwi.org, ‘Your Government’, ‘Treasurer’s Office’. Under 2018 Assessment & Tax Payment Information click on ‘View Your 2018 Assessment and Tax Information’. Enter 10 digit parcel # (no spaces or dashes), name or address and click ‘Search for Parcels’. Choose 2018 Tax Year and click ‘Taxes’ tab on top. Click on the ‘Property Summary Report’ button on bottom right.
Making a Payment
BY MAIL – Please include applicable tax coupon with all payments (no need to mail tax bill).
- ON OR BEFORE JANUARY 31st ONLY: Please use the return envelope (to West Allis P.O. Box) enclosed with your tax coupon.
- ON OR AFTER FEBRUARY 1st to: Treasurer, City of Oak Creek, 8040 S 6th Street, Oak Creek, WI 53154.
Payments by mail are considered TIMELY if:
- It is mailed in a properly addressed envelope,
- Postmarked before midnight of the last date prescribed for making the payment, with postage prepaid, and
- Is received by the proper official not more than 5 days after the prescribed date for making the payment.
IMPORTANT: December 31st is not a due date and; therefore, to ensure a receipt dated in December, payments by mail must be received in our office on or before December 28, 2018. Payments postmarked by December 31st and received within 5 business days after December 31st will be receipted as January; however, the reference note will reflect a December postmark.
TRI CITY BANKS - THROUGH JANUARY 31st ONLY. Please note, the Tri City bank located inside the Pick‘n Save at 2320 W. Ryan Road has closed.
A RECEIPT and IMMEDIATE REFUND for OVERPAYMENT (with proper ID), is given at the bank. CHECK and CASH is accepted. Bring your tax coupon to one of the following locations:
- Free standing branches: 6400 S. 27th St., and 2555 W. Ryan Rd. Mon. thru Fri. 9am-6pm, Sat. 9am-12 noon; Dec. 24th 10 am to 2 pm; closed Dec. 25th and Jan. 1st.
- In Pick ‘n Save stores: 8770 S. Howell Ave. and 6462 S. 27th St. Mon. thru Fri. 10am-7pm, Sat. & Sun. 10am-4pm; Dec. 24th 10 am to 2 pm; closed Dec. 25th and Jan. 1st.
- Each location is trained in taking tax payments. The payment information is recorded on your tax coupon and a copy will be returned to you as your receipt. A file is exported by the City the following business day (2 business days for weekend payments and 3 if Holiday falls on weekend); payments are entered using the actual date of your payment (i.e. you pay on December 31st; we receive the information on January 4th and enter the payment using the date of December 31st).
DRIVE-UP 24 HOUR DEPOSITORY – It’s located at the Civic Center on the southwest corner of the building. CHECKS or CERTIFIED FUNDS ONLY. Payments placed in the depository by midnight of the last date prescribed for making the payment is considered timely. Payments placed in the depository on or before midnight December 31st will be recorded as a December payment.
CREDIT/DEBIT CARD & E-CHECK (phone or internet)
CITY HALL HOURS
- Normal Business Hours: Monday through Friday 7:30am to 4pm
- City Hall, will be CLOSED on December 24th, 25th, 31st, and January 1st.
- No cash payments in December and January.
- EXPECT DELAYS. Please consider using one of our other convenient payment options.
- When City Hall is closed, you may use one of the other available payment options.