Personal Property Tax InformationShare This +
What defines personal property taxes?
Definition of personal property. The term "personal property", shall include all manufacturing machinery and equipment, goods, wares, merchandise, chattels, and effects, of any nature or description, having any real or marketable value, and not included in the term "real property".
Tax bills are mailed to the business OWNER(S) on record for personal property in the City of Oak Creek. If you were the owner of the business on January 1st, you are responsible for the 2016 personal property tax, even if you no longer own the business. On January 1st, if you were not the owner of the business listed on the personal property tax bill you received, please forward it to the owner or return it to City Hall.
Parcel numbers are now all 10 digits – personal property begin with 9999.
CHECK(s) should be payable to City of Oak Creek. Checks are processed and deposited as quickly as possible. The City reserves the right to reject any and all checks or certified funds FOR ANY IRREGULARITES, including but not limited to being improperly dated, completed or endorsed and; if returned to the payer unprocessed, the City is not responsible for taxes not immediately processed or that become delinquent or for interest and penalties on delinquent taxes. The City does not accept third party checks except from mortgage companies or banks specifically in payment of property tax. Personal Checks must include Name & Address. DO NOT STAPLE and DO NOT COMBINE with other payments. CHECKS RETURNED from the bank for any reason are subject to a $25.00 recovery fee and payment is void. Full replacement payment, plus a separate recovery fee, must be paid with certified funds, and must be received by the original due date to avoid additional charges.
RECEIPTS may be printed at www.oakcreekwi.org, ‘Your Government’, ‘Treasurer’s Office’. Under 2016 Assessment & Tax Payment Information click on ‘View Your 2016 Assessment and Tax Information’. Enter 10 digit parcel # (no spaces or dashes), name or address and click ‘Search for Parcels’. Choose 2016 Tax Year and click ‘Taxes’ tab on top. Click on the ‘Property Summary Report’ button on bottom right.
Making a Payment
BY MAIL – Please include applicable tax coupon with all payments (no need to mail tax bill).
- ON OR BEFORE JANUARY 31st ONLY: Please use the return envelope (to West Allis P.O. Box) enclosed with your tax coupon.
- ON OR AFTER FEBRUARY 1ST: Treasurer, City of Oak Creek, 8040 S. 6th Street, Oak Creek, WI 53154
PAYMENT BY MAIL IS CONSIDERED TIMELY IF:
- It is mailed in a properly addressed envelope,
- Postmarked before midnight of the last date prescribed for making the payment, with postage prepaid, and
- Is received by the proper official not more than 5 days after the prescribed date for making the payment.
IMPORTANT: December 31st is not a due date and; therefore, to ensure a receipt dated in December, payments by mail must be received in our office on or before December 29, 2016. Payments postmarked by December 31st and received within 5 business days after December 31st will be receipted as January; however, the reference note will reflect a December postmark.
TRI CITY BANKS - THROUGH JANUARY 31st ONLY. CHECK and CASH payments will be accepted at Tri City Banks. Bring your tax coupon to one of the following locations:
- Free standing branches: 6400 S. 27th St., and 2555 W. Ryan Rd. Mon. thru Fri. 9am-6pm, Sat. 9am-12 noon; closed Dec. 25th & 26th and Jan. 1st & 2nd.
- In Pick ‘n Save stores: 8770 S. Howell Ave., 6462 S. 27th St. and 2320 W. Ryan Rd. Mon. thru Fri. 10am-7pm, Sat & Sun 10am-4pm; except, Dec. 24th 10am-2pm; closed Dec. 25th and Jan 1st.
- Each location is trained in taking tax payments. The payment information is recorded on your tax coupon and a copy will be returned to you as your receipt. A file is exported to the City the following business day (2 business days for weekend payments and 3 if Holiday falls on weekend); payments are entered using the actual date of your payment (i.e. you pay on December 31st; we receive the information on January 4th and enter the payment using the date of December 31st).
DRIVE-UP 24 HOUR DEPOSITORY – It’s located at the Civic Center on the southwest corner of the building. CHECKS or CERTIFIED FUNDS ONLY. Payments placed in the depository by midnight of the last date prescribed for making the payment is considered timely. Payments placed in the depository on or before midnight December 31st will be recorded as a December payment.
CREDIT/DEBIT CARDS or E-CHECKS (phone or internet)
CITY HALL HOURS
- December – July: Monday - Friday 7:30am to 4pm.
- City Hall will be CLOSED on December 23rd, 26th 30th, and January 2nd.
- No cash payments in December and January.
- When City Hall is closed you may use one of the other available options.
- EXPECT DELAYS. Please consider using one of our other convenient payment options.