Halloween Celebration Safety TipsShare This +
The City of Oak Creek will celebrate Halloween on:
Monday, October 31 – 5:00-7:00 pm
Stop by the Oak Creek Police Department to pick up your trick-or-treat goodie bag! During the month of October, M-F, 8:00 am – 5pm, they will be distributed at the front window in the main lobby.
The Oak Creek Police Department would like to remind parents of a few tips to keep your children safe while trick-or-treating:
- DRIVE SLOWLY! – You never know what creature might cross your path when in residential areas!
- Ask your Neighborhood Watch or NEXTDOOR group to patrol your community.
- Be sure older children TAKE FRIENDS and younger children are accompanied by a TRUSTED ADULT when “Trick-or-Treating.”
- Accompany younger children to the door of every home they approach and make sure you are familiar with every home from which the children receive treats.
- NEVER approach a home that is not well lit both inside and outside.
- Teach children to NEVER enter a home without prior permission from their parents or guardians.
- Teach children to NEVER approach a vehicle, occupied or not, unless they are accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Children need to be seen – carry a working flashlight, flashers or a glow stick when out after dark.
- Costumes should be reflective, flame retardant and should fit properly to prevent trips and falls.
- Consider wearing makeup instead of a mask which may hinder or restrict your child’s vision when crossing roads or going up and down steps.
- Encourage children to wear comfortable shoes.
- Set a time limit for children to trick-or-treat. Together map out a safe route for their travels and remind them not to take shortcuts through backyards or vacant lots.
- Remind children not to eat their goodies before an adult can check them.
- Eat only unopened candies and those in original wrappers.
- Put your outside house or porch light on to show that your family is participating in trick-or-treating.
- Remove objects from your yard that might present a hazard to trick-or-treaters.
- Consider using the “Halloween Safe Site”, Monday, October 31, 2016 at the Oak Creek’s Historical Society on the corner of E. Forest Hill Avenue and 15th Avenue from 5 pm-7pm.
- Keep an eye out for suspicious activities or persons in your neighborhood.
- Please report any unusual behavior or problems immediately to your local Police Department. The Oak Creek Police Department non-emergency number is 414-762-8200 – press (0).